Netherland’s scientists accidentally discovered a new organ found in the human throat. This discovery is greatly astonishing.
Scientists at the Netherlands Cancer Institute (NCI) have discovered this new organ present in human throat accidentally. While studying prostate cancer by using a combination of CT scans and PET scans, they discovered this organ.
Before this, there were three salivary glands in the human body, one under the tongue, one under the jaw, and one at the back of the jaw. Now the human body has four salivary glands.
For confirmation, scientists took CT scans and PET scans samples from 100 patients and found the new gland in all of them.
Details of the new human organ
- Discovered in the upper part of the throat
- Composed of salivary glands
- Located over a piece of cartilage called the torus tubarius in the nasopharynx region
- The nasopharynx region is the upper part of the throat behind the nose, with each gland having an average size of 1.5 inches.
- They are named as tubarial salivary glands due to its location.
The newly discovered tubarial salivary gland is greatly important in cancer treatment. Doctors treat cancer using radiations on the neck or head. This is because, the radiations are very dangerous to the salivary glands which cause difficulty in eating and swallowing.
With the new discovery, doctors will now avoid exposing the nasopharynx region to harmful radiation. As a result, cancer patients will have less problems in the future.